74 Island Wonders. 1000s of story ideas.
What a start to the new year we’ve had in the Whitsundays! Sydney stole our wet season! Instead of the traditional rains of February, we’ve had stunning bright blue skies and azure blue seas, and sparkling white clear sand and champagne sailing conditions. The locals’ boats are getting a work out and everyone has a smile on their face.
There’s plenty happening here in the Whitsundays and the team at Tourism Whitsundays are always happy to help develop your story ideas, or help with new ideas. We update our top ten list of story ideas bi-monthly – here’s our latest ideas to get the creative juices flowing….
TOP TEN STORY IDEAS – MARCH/APRIL 12
1. NEW! BOUTIQUE BEER CAFE OPENS IN AIRLIE BEACH
The newest attraction at the Port of Airlie is Denman Cellars and Beer Cafe, specialising in the ‘Hard to Find’. Denman Cellars and Beer Café has a large range of over 700 Australian and imported beers to choose from as well as boutique wines and spirits. The boutique cafe offers a Tapas menu seven days a week, from 10am to late Monday – Friday and from 8am on weekends. It’s already the town’s newest hot spot and THE place to be seen! The Port of Airlie is located in Airlie Beach, the hub of the Whitsunday Coast, and is a large scale development encompassing a new marina, retail, restaurants, hotel, private homes and the brand new ‘Boathaven Beach’.
2. NEW! CROCODILE CAFE OFFERS UNIQUE DINING EXPERIENCE
Crocodile Café and Wholefoods has opened along Shute Harbour Road, just 5 minutes from Proserpine. Open for breakfast and lunch, the focus is on organic fruit and vegetables, local produce, gluten free products and homemade food to go along with local arts and locally made hemp products such as bedding, aprons and cushions etc. The cafe sells organic, whole food products, grows some of its own produce and doesn’t have a set menu. Instead chef Bex Dawson creates meals to suit individual needs, dietary requirements and the availability of fresh, seasonal produce.Foods on the menu are made from fresh organic foods and other whole foods (non-toxic, additive-free foods). The cafe offers a variety of fresh organic fruit and vegetables for the public to purchase. Organic and wholefood dry goods are also available.
3. NEW! WORK COMMENCES ON AIRLIE TOWN CENTRE UPGRADE
The much anticipated Airlie Beach main street revitalisation project is commencing this month (March 2012), with contractors Pro-Build Civil commencing works to upgrade the road and town centre. The first stage of the Airlie main street upgrade includes:
• Complete reconstruction of Airlie main street pavement and sidewalks including multiple types of decorative paving and new street furniture combined with soft planted landscaping.
• Multiple service installation including Stormwater, Water, Sewer, Electrical, Telstra and Gas – over 4km in total.
• Reconstruction and re-grading of Waterson Way up to 200m from the roundabout on the main street.
• Reconstruction of Orana St intersection, Begley St and Airlie Crescent.
The project is due for completion in late April 2013 and will create a significantly refreshed and revived central business hub. Further stages will involve opening up green parkland in the centre of town, the removal of a centrally located building to open up views from the street out to the Coral Sea and Whitsunday islands, and better pedestrian linkages from the main town centre to the Airlie Beach Lagoon. The Airlie Beach Lagoon is also being upgraded, with a waterpark proposed to be added to the already popular precinct.
4. A FAMILY AFFAIR
Did you know that kids can do their first scuba diving lesson at age 8? Ride a go kart at 4? Drive a jetski at 16? The Whitsundays is a fun family holiday destination, offering oodles of tours ideal for kids. Many parents would be surprised at what kinds of tours and activities kids are able to participate in. Here are some ideas to get you started:
• Swim, play and barbecue for free at the Airlie Beach Lagoon.
• Play mini golf at Daydream Island. While you’re there, marvel at the world’s largest open air aquarium, the Living Reef. Let the kids enjoy the kids club while you enjoy a massage at the Rejuvenation Spa!
• Snorkel, swim and enjoy the water slides on the Great Barrier Reef – Knuckle and Hardy Reef Pontoons now both have waterslides!
• Stay at Big 4 Adventure Whitsunday, the kids’ specialists – with so many kids activities and facilities to keep the kids entertained.
• Take the kids fishing from the Shute Harbour Pontoon or in many of the secret spots along the coastline.
• Go camping on a deserted island (QPWS permits required). Maybe you could look for lost treasure!
• Go on a croc-spotting tour on the Proserpine River or go for a swim in the fresh waterhole at Cedar Creek Falls. For more information on family friendly Whitsundays holidays, visit: www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au/visitor-information/family-holidays/