Just in time for summer Westin Hotels & Resorts is introducing a selection of SuperFoods-inspired Mojito cocktails at more than 70 properties across North America. Created exclusively for Westin Hotels by Francesco Lafranconi, Director of Mixology forSouthern Wine & Spirits of America, Inc., each handcrafted cocktail is made with key SuperFoods ingredients including blueberries, ginger, green tea and honey. The brand’s new SuperFoods Mojito offering joins a host of other signature Westin offerings specially designed to help preserve wellness on the road.
Each participating property will feature a classic Cuban Mojito made with fresh mint, rum, and fresh lime alongside additional SuperFoods-inspired Mojito creations such as the Blueberry Mojito, Pineapple and Ginger Mojito, Spicy Apple Mojito, Green Tea and Honey Mojito, Strawberry Kiwi Mojito, and the Brazilian Cure Mojito made with Brazilian rum and VeeV Açai Spirit, a powerful superfood liquor. [member]
Westin Hotels worked closely with mixologist Francesco Lafranconi to create cocktails using well-known pairings of SuperFoods ingredients. The brand’s new Mojito offerings are based on the concepts outlined in the bestselling series of SuperFoodsRx books published by SuperFoods Partners LLC, the Westin SuperFoods-inspired cocktails contain the SuperFoods thought to improve well-being and longevity, including fruit, herbs and spices. The brand’s new Mojito menu follows on the success of the popular Westin SuperFoods program and will be available from July 1 through September 30, 2010.
“In celebration of summer we wanted to offer our guests a refreshing seasonal cocktail that was not only delicious, but also incorporated SuperFoods ingredients,” said Nancy London, Global Brand Leader for Westin Hotels & Resorts. “Guests can sit back, relax and enjoy one of our signature SuperFoods-inspired Mojito cocktails – a great summertime indulgence!”
The Power of SuperFoods
One of the keys to the SuperFoodsRx philosophy is “food synergy.” Emerging science suggests that certain foods may play off of each other. Food synergy refers to foods that, when paired together, may be even more nutritious than when they are eaten separately SuperFoods on their own – fruit, vegetables, grains and proteins which are thought to improve well-being and longevity – also pack a powerful punch For example:
• Green tea is a rich antioxidant that may help to lower blood pressure, prevent cataracts, and decrease sun-induced aging.
• Honey may help maintain optimal blood sugar levels and when mixed with green tea and a dash of pepper can soothe a sore throat.
• Blueberries are thought to be a “brain food,” supplying a combination of nutrients which work in synergy to provide an optimum cellular environment for our brains.
• Kiwis are antioxidant all stars and offer rich bounty of Vitamin C that may help neutralize free radicals that damage cells, ultimately leading to inflammation and cancer.
• Açai has 10 times more antioxidants than red grapes and 10 to 30 times the anthocyanins of red wine and may help to promote cardiovascular and digestive health.
The brand’s new SuperFoods inspired offering joins a host of initiatives aimed at wellness introduced by Westin Hotels & Resorts. In late 2009, the brand launched a sleep study and sleep hotline with National Sleep Foundation, aimed at helping travelers troubleshoot common sleep problems. In the fall of 2007, Westin partnered with SuperFoods Partners LLC to become the first hotel brand to create a SuperFoods-focused menu.
In 2006, the brand introduced Breathe Westin and became the first in the industry to go smoke-free and offer guests a healthy, 100% smoke-free hotel experience. [/member]